8/02/2008

Book of the Week-Big Red Barn


I can't believe I haven't yet reviewed this book. I was looking through my LibraryThing to find the book to review this week and comparing my list of book of the week enteries when I saw that I hadn't reviewed "Big Red Barn" by Margaret Wise Brown; pictures by Felicia Bond. Well, this is a book that every classroom should have in it without fail! Especially in the toddler classrooms; but all across every preschool classroom.

It should be included in the curriculum if you have a literacy based curriculum. It should be read at circle time, nap time, and all day long. It should be on the library shelf for children to look through on their own. The pictures are engaging and interesting to children. The words or memorable.

Any child who has never seen a farm will learn about life on a farm from reading this book. At least, they'll learn about the animals on a farm. This is done beautifully by the words and the pictures. I can't say enough about this book.

Margaret Wise Brown has written many notable book (Goodnight Moon being one of them); but this is by far one of my favorites.

Felicia Bond has gone on to illustrate more books and even author some as well. Among her illustrated works is "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie"; she authored "Tumble Bumble", another fine children's book.

Below is a pictures of Margaret Wise Brown, and under that, Felicia Bond:


No comments: