10/04/2008

Book of the Week-Pancakes for Breakfast


Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaolo is a fabulous book! It tells it's own story with no words. That was my first thought, however there are words. Strategically placed into the pictures to assist in telling the story. However, you don't need to know the words to understand what is happening.
I am a fan of all of Tomie dePaolo books. I love his illustrations the most. This one has to be my all time favorite; although I do enjoy them all, I'm not quite sure why, but I love this one.
The best time to use this is for something like pajama day when we make pancakes for lunch. It's a perfect book to talk about recipes and how to make things. It also illustrates to the children that these ingredients don't just come from a store...eggs come from chickens, milk comes from cows, etc...
Whether you sit with a child and read through it with them;,or leave it on the library shelf for them to look at on their own, this is a fabulous book. For older children, it can be expanded on curriculum to write the words together. For younger children, it's such an encouragement to just look at books.
A favorite of mine. It'll become a favorite of yours, too. Unfortunately, there is no picture of the author, therefore I am including one for you:

No comments: